Helen Keller




In my school we were learning about famous people and our unit of inquiry was people experiences shape their beliefs and behavior. There was four books about four famous men, but I saw one book about 1 woman's I I was curious. It was about Helen Keller's life, so I decided to read it. After I read it I thought I should write about her.

In 1880, Helen Keller was born in Tuscumbia Alabama. She learned, laughed, talked and had lots of fun. One day in 1882, everything stopped, on the second day she was turning and tossing on her bed, she was very sick. The doctor was called. She had scarlet fever when she was about 18 months old. The doctor could not give Helen's mother and father much hope. Soon after scarlet fever when she was better, she became deaf, blind and mute.

In 1886, Annie Sullivan arrived from Perkins Institute. She helped Helen to do lots of things. But Helen thought that Annie Sullivan was a stranger. So Annie Sullivan tried and tried to help her. 

In 1888, Helen could, talk with her fingers, listen with the palm in her hand, she knew as many words as any other eight year old child. She could read raised print books. She could write with a pencil, she was even learning how to read and write in Braille, the raised dot language of blind. 

In 1892, she announced that she wanted to go to college and the the college she wanted to go is Harvard, but Annie Sullivan told Helen that Harvard was a boy's school. After that she said that she wanted to go to Radcliffe college which was for woman's. In 1900, she entered the Radcliffe college. 

In 1904, she graduated Cum Laude - with honor - from Radcliffe college. She was the best educated deaf an blind person in the world. In 1936, a sad thing for her was that Annie Sullivan died on October 19th. 

In 1939, a terrible war broke out in Europe. It spread to many countries of the world. In 1946, during the Second World War, Helen went from hospital to hospital, all across the country. She helped the soldiers. She flew an open aircraft. She went on the roughest camping trips, and she visited the great cities of the world. She could tell many of these cities apart by their smells.

Her belief was "happiness"
In 1968, Helen was very sick and she was in bed. She died on June 1. But her spirits live on. As she said so many times, "the best and most beautiful things in the world can not be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart".

So that was all I found about Helen Keller. I have a connection of Helen Keller and the connection is that she was deaf and blind and I am deaf. 

My small talk about her on this link....

Click here, my video

I wish to inspire all, If I can ....so can you .....:)))

Comments

Popular Posts