Online Learning Struggle


Being deaf can be challenging sometimes. We sometimes face difficulties in hearing, concentrating, getting necessities for our needs. When the quarantine started here in Germany, we had difficulties such as not being able to go for my new hearing aids programming, that I have to wait a bit longer with my old hearing aids as well as doing homeschooling. It felt scary at first for me that we are going to be "homeschooled" during the coronavirus outbreak. I had a mix of feelings, fear, sadness, and happiness. I was fearing of how I would do with my hearing aids listening to classes online. I struggle with hearing sometimes on audio because there are times there are many people talking or the audio doesn't pick up the words very accurately. I was sad because I love going to school and seeing my teachers and friends. But I had happiness as well because we get to spend time with our families. As well as, it would be a break from all the noise for me since there can be a lot of noise in school like many people talking and that causes brain exhaustion since I have to concentrate more.

The first online class started on a Wednesday, and I was very nervous. I woke up late and I was ready to do this challenge. I kept having doubts in my head, that I would not be able to study, understand the topics by myself, and do this challenge. But as soon as we started, I knew everything would be fine. All the teachers had made sure they had written the assignments in our study websites. It was so much easier for me because sometimes I miss out on a few things and there are times that I can't hear because of many people talking. It felt like I was in class studying but the only difference is that we are doing school at home with a few minor changes. Most of the time we only had to meet with the teachers for a few minutes for instructions and that was the best option because I would then be able to study with no noise and I could put some music when there are assignments that are not so much. In school, I would not put my music because I have to keep my ears open to hear everything and make sure I am not missing out anything. I could also remove my hearing aids to calm my brain cause sometimes it can be exhausting to my brain with all the noise and thinking so much about the subject. Although there are times that there were many people who would talk at the same time during the meetings or there are times that the meetings are not recorded. It can be hard because if I record, I could listen to the recordings again.

Sometimes being deaf can lead to isolation because we are the same as other people but without one of the important sensory organs. In my experience, people have ignored me, left me out of the group, bullied me, etc. But in this school, everyone is amazing and so kind. At school, I would always hang out with my friends every day, talking random things, talking like we are all old friends. During this quarantine period, we always call online and chat with others so we are not alone. Whenever we do this, it makes me feel not alone and I feel appreciated, accepted, and included in the community. I feel more connected with my friends and teachers.

During this experience, I have learned that this is another good way to approach learning and understanding a subject during a difficult situation like the Covid-19. It makes life easier in some sort of way for being a deaf person because the assignments are written down and we can study without any distractions. Since I am able to study in peace, I am able to get better grades.


Comments

Popular Posts