Initial Experience at Offcourse - Drop In!
















As part of one of my courses, I were to take part in an Offcourse/ elective where I interact with teachers outside of my school curriculum. In this case, I learn about something new or interesting from a new perspective and work in a different environment. This semester I chose to work in this Offcourse/elective project of Drop In where I learn skills and teaching moments from interacting with kids who have dropped out of schools due to their disabilities or behavioural issues. I felt that this course was my calling as this is an opportunity I am looking into to add into my pathway of becoming a teacher. Today I had my first lesson with my peer in a school in the Netherlands who have around 12 year old boys with issues of autism, trauma, social anxiety, and high intelligence. At first, due to my past experiences, I was nervous as I had witnessed a few drawbacks with my interaction with disabled kids due to their inability to interact or my inability to help them in a suitable manner. However, this session went successfully leaving the kids feeling engaged and enthusiastic about proceeding in this project with us. As we started the session, I could feel that the environment was very chilled and enthusiastic, encouraging my peer and I to create a successful lesson. However, it was challenging as the kids were all dutch despite that they can still understand and speak english. I felt that there may be a lack of ability to communicate with each other as they may feel uncomfortable to interact with someone using a second language. Despite this, as we went along, the kids were able to warm up and build a trusting bond between us as volunteer teachers and themselves. We started off with introducing ourselves and allowing the boys to share with us a few characteristics and things about themselves. I had a doubt where I felt I was sharing things that may be challenging for them to understand not because of the language barrier but because of their potential struggles in understanding us. However, they were able to understand and also sympathise with me and in fact helped me to understand what they were trying to say in English. I felt very encouraged and included in this environment. Additionally, after listening to the teachers feedback, we learned that allowing the boys to share details with us made them feel included and a sense of importance within the community. They were immediately willing and wanting to get the attention from us all at the same time.

After that, we introduced the topic of creating a comfort spot where they share what they feel makes them happy, safe, and themselves within the comfort spot that they create. As soon as I shared my comfort spot and my peer shared hers, I could see a bunch of light bulbs on their faces and some may be feeling a sense of doubt or confusion. While they were working, I was able to interact and ask them what is their comfort as well as ask them about their interests that they shared with us in the beginning. For example, there was a boy who was interested in art and creativity, I asked him, “what is it about art that helps you?”. At first he was having trouble giving me the answer, in which I helped him by suggesting whether art calms him. This went on and before I left, I wanted to ask them about what they would like to see or include in the future lessons we do with them. That way, they would also feel that their opinion and inclusion is also valued. They all left feeling enthusiastic and excited for more.

One thing I have learned from this initial meeting is to be patient and encouraging with the kids as I can empathise with them due to my fair share of experiences as a disabled girl with deafness. It was an encouraging moment for me as I felt that we were going in the right path and that I learned a few interesting characteristics. Additionally, I was surprised to see how in sync their interests were with our interests and project ideas. In other words, some were interested in outdoor activities, some were interested in art and creativity, and some were interested in the process of building something in 3D format. This allowed us to create plans that would spark their interests and make each and every one of their choices valued while still adapting to the curriculum in which they are being taught. This gave me the understanding that even in a normal education system, we just need to find that one thing that they are interested in and sort of use that advantage to engage them to be able to understand and complete the assignment or projects in a fun and educational manner.

Comments

Popular Posts