Memory of my Tough Times

I am hearing impaired. I have severe to profound hearing loss. I was born deaf, my mum didn't notice until I was 7 months old. My family was heart broken but wanted me to hear and speak. So we went to an audiologist, and she was not very kind and supportive. She wronged us. I did not get very good hearing aids. We went to a speech therapist, Alaka Maam. All her children have succeeded in their speech. I was very fearful to go to Alaka maams house as she was very strict and firm in her teachings. She is an amazing teacher, I miss her so much. All those tough times we had. I remember the anger, crying, and strict part. I love her. I thank her so much for all the things she taught me in order to get better in my speech. We went to her 2 days a week. We practice speaking in the garden, in the balcony, and everywhere in the house as home is a laboratory. My mum has also become a speech therapist, she made sure that i practiced my speech from 6:30 in the morning to my bedtime. She never made me have my way of doing things unless I spoke. I was bathed in language. I remember all the crying, laughter, and anger. It was a very tough time for me. 

When I was 6 years old, we moved to Germany and went to a German audiologist. I got perfect programmed hearing aids for the first time in my life. We were so happy. But we did not stop speech therapy, we still improve my speaking. And my mum taught me to sing and dance. I remember all the funny words i used to say to my family. I thank god for giving me to the right parents, I love my mum and dad and of course Rishabh so much. I am so happy to have them in my life. I thank my mum so much for making me wear hearing aids and speak. I don't want to sign. I will never forget an moment I had with mum, dad, Rishabh, Alaka Ma'am, and other people who helped me.

We moved here 2 and a half years ago and I got bullied a lot here, nobody would understand and help me lead a normal life. Sometimes I wish everybody treated me like I am a normal hearing child. I can hear one person at a time not when everybody talks together. I get confused. A lot of times, everybody thinks that I am ignoring that person while he or she is talking. Its nothing like that, it is just that I didn't hear the person. It will be lovely if the person would repeat or say it louder. I play the keyboard. I expect to lead a normal life like everybody else. My inspiration is Helen Keller who wa s blind and deaf at the age of 18 months. I learned through my life that nobody is perfect, everybody has problems. But we need to face it and become better in life. I thank my speech therapist Alaka Ma’am, my mum and everyone who helped me in my life. 

Comments

Popular Posts