End of First Year Semester 2 Reflection

As the year comes to an end, I would describe this year in one phrase, “Eye-Opening”. I came into Minerva with a limited perception of art. However, the first semester gave me the opportunity to accomplish the initial goals in terms of learning how to be creative and experiment with new ideals and materials. From this, my new aim for the second semester was to learn to experiment further with various techniques as well as navigate through different fascinations by being able to think beyond the constrained box that I was in. To accomplish this, it would require me to try and expand on how to think creatively and critically observe the world around me.

At first, this process was a challenge as I faced an artist block. In other words, similarly to last semester, I was facing an obstacle of creating artworks out of curiosity, creativity, and inspiration. In studio support, while going through the process of learning to experiment with photography, programming, and learning about artists, I was finding difficulties in expanding my horizon in experimentation. Hence, I decided to try and see my overall work from the 3rd block through my teachers and peers. This experience has given me an immense insight into what is the core rock in this journey that is stopping me from moving forward. I learned that I needed to explore and experiment through letting go of things that I am afraid of, avoid being too controlled, as well as explore by going bigger and beyond. Along with this, I needed to avoid overthinking and try to do artworks on even the simplest fascinations and expand on it. With this feedback in mind as well as my experience in printmaking and unstable tech, I realized that I use a technique that has been helping me to establish the ideals of going beyond the box.

As I go along with making art, I have to learn to ask questions in terms of “what else can I make out of it? Should I change up the technique and explore the same concept differently? What else can the material or the concept symbolize?” and much more. When using this process method in the form of mindmaps, I was able to expand my horizon. This experience has made me enjoy art much more as I expand on including raw feelings, explore further into my fascinations of new materials and concepts. I enjoyed asking questions along the way of documenting my process through photography and writing. As a result of this, I learned how experimentation is a key to discovering how to navigate through various ideals and possibilities to accomplish creating significantly influential artworks.

In addition to figuring out how to expand my art making practice through asking questions, I was able to experiment more with various techniques and pictorial elements from the Book of Notions such as textiles, glass, sounds, cardboard, and collage establishing my love for a mixture of traditional and abstract art. This has allowed me to explore deeper into my fascinations of Indian culture, dance, movement, color, and light without feeling the fear of failed attempts. With these experiments and less fear, I was able to dive deeper into figuring out where the context and content of my work is expressed to its maximum. I was able to evaluate which work may not express the theme well. This was also a result of being intrigued by how extensive art history is in terms of their connections and contradictions. Making the 3D art history model has also allowed me to think creatively and critically. I was able to see how artists at that time were constantly reflecting and processing various techniques, ideals, and contexts. This has made me realize how I could also relate with various movements and artists and explore how I can express my theme at its maximum without diverting too much from the concept and style of art.

As I move on to another year of my art studies, I hope to continue to explore further into various aspects of myself as well as continue to create artworks that would be significantly influential. I plan to continue to create mind maps and investigate in my sketchbook at the start of my exploration into new themes and fascinations. In addition to this, I want to continue to trust the process and think bigger as I go along my process of making art. To achieve this, I look forward to seeing how the Minerva Honorary program will help me to achieve a creative mindset who is willing to let my creativity and imagination go bigger. From my experience of learning about various art forms from the past year, I would like to continue to explore how my themes can be expressed through painting/drawing, sculpture, printmaking, as well as maybe video/sound installation.

Comments

Popular Posts